moggie's world

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

(male Heteropteryx dilatata nymph)
Phasmids!
Generally, insects that eat leaves and resemble sticks or leaves are called phasmids. Malaysia is the home to many of these fascinating insects. When in their natural habitat, it's almost impossible to spot one of these guys at a glance. When alarmed or disturbed, i find that they often sway, imitating a dead leaf or stick moving in the breeze. One has to be extremely patient looking for phasmids. I often find myself staring directly at one for long periods of time before realising it's right there in front of me! (much to the delight of my asli friends). With help and training from my good 'orang asli' (indigenous) friend, Ngah Teroq, i am definitely getting better at spotting them in the jungle, even at night.
Unfortunately alarming numbers of these beautiful creatures are harvested and supplied to local agents every year who sell them to souvenir outlets. Live specimens and eggs are also despatched to foreign countries. I hope that we can protect these species before it's too late.